Deck & Fence Refinishing
Like everything else around your home decks and fences are subject to the damaging effects of moisture and prolonged exposure to the elements.
If your deck or fence looks a little dingy, cleaning it can help. But to really get your deck in shape, you also need to seal it. Constant exposure to UV rays and rain can cause neglected decks to fade, crack, split and warp. Not only does a properly-maintained deck look better, but it also lasts longer.
Shaffer Painting uses only quality wood preservatives. These products are designed to protect against rain, snow, sunlight, UV and contain mildewcides to resist surface molds and stains. This protection greatly reduces cracking, grain raising and splintering.
A water test is the easiest way to ensure that the wood can absorb sealer or finish. Sprinkle water on the deck. If it soaks in immediately, the deck needs to be sealed. If the water beads up or stands on the deck your deck may not need sealing yet. However, you may need to apply a new wood treatment.
Contact us for a free deck evaluation 402.333.5535
Steps Shaffer Painting takes for deck staining
Step 1: High Pressure Washing
- THE ENTIRE SURFACE TO BE STAINED WILL BE CLEANED WITH A HIGH PRESSURE WASHER.
- THIS WILL RESTORE THE WEATHERED OR GRAYED LOOK BACK TO ITS NATURAL COLOR.
- PRESSURE WASHING WILL BRIGHTEN THE WOOD AND LEAVE A CLEAN SURFACE FOR THE STAIN TO ADHERE TO.
- THE SURFACE WILL BE ALLOWED TO DRY OUT FOR AT LEAST A DAY BEFORE ANY STAINING WILL BEGIN.
Step 2: Inspection
- WE WILL INSPECT THE SURFACE TO BE STAINED FOR ANY NAILS THAT HAVE LOOSENED THEIR WAY UP AND WILL EITHER REPLACE THEM OR RESET THEM AS NEEDED.
- WE WILL ALSO LIGHTLY SAND ANY ROUGH AREAS TO REMOVE ANY SPLINTERS THAT MAY HAVE OCCURED DURING THE CLEANING PROCESS.
Step 3: Masking
- BEFORE ANY STAINING IS STARTED WE WILL MASK AND/OR COVER ANY AREAS THAT ARE NOT TO BE STAINED.
- WE TAKE EXTRA CARE TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL LANDSCAPING IS COVERED PROPERLY TO AVOID ANY DAMAGE TO PLANTS.
Step 4: Product Selection
- WHEN PICKING OUT A COLOR OR FINISH FOR YOUR DECK, KEEP IN MIND FINISHES THAT HAVE SOME COLOR IN THEM WILL GREATLY OUT LAST ANY CLEAR FINISHES. THIS IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT CLEAR FINISHES HAVE VERY LITTLE UV PROTECTION.
- THE DECK IN THESE PHOTOS WERE FINISHED WITH TWP (TOTAL WOOD PRESERVATION) IN THE CEDAR TONE COLOR. THE PIGMENTATION IN THE CEDAR TONE COLOR GREATLY ADDS TO THE UV PROTECTION OF THE FINISH AND THIS COLOR RESEMBLES THE LOOK OF NEW CEDAR WHEN COMPLETED.
Step 5: Staining
- ALL SURFACES WILL BE STAINED TWO COATS.
- THE FIRST COAST WILL BE APPLIED AND ALLOWED TO SOAK INTO THE WOOD.
- A SECOND COAT WILL BE APPLIED AND ALLOWED TO PUDDLE, WHICH WILL INSURE COMPLETE ENCAPSULATION.
- WE WILL WIPE OVER ALL SURFACES WITH A RAG SATURATED WITH THE SAME PRODUCT TO REMOVE ANY EXCESS MATERIAL AND GIVE THE DECK A UNIFORM FINISH.
Before Deck Staining
After Deck Staining
Step 6: Clean Up
- ALL MASKING PAPER AND PLASTIC IS REMOVED FROM SURROUNDING AREAS AND ANY CLEAN UP OF NON STAINED SURFACES ARE PERFORMED IF NEEDED.
- ALL DROP CLOTHS ARE REMOVED FROM PLANTS AND LANDSCAPING.
- ALL TRASH IS REMOVED FROM JOB SITE.